First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
“Can't HTTP/1.1 over TCP do this?”
Answer: “Sort of, if you work really hard.”
- Enable HTTP/1.1 pipelining
- Most browsers still don't because servers get it wrong!
- Fragment large downloads via Range requests
- Pummel server with many small HTTP requests
- Risk atomicity issues with dynamic content
- Track round-trip time, bandwidth in application
- Try to keep pipeline full without adding extra delay
- Still get head-of-line blocking on TCP segment loss!